Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Episode One: The Beginning!

When I saw Star Wars in that crowded Edina theater back in 1977 for the first time I knew it changed my life. Until then I hated SF/F and the like, but Star Wars opened that door for me to not only enjoy it but other offerings from Star Trek to Babylon 5 and everything in between. Needless to say when The Empire Strikes Back came out in 1980 I was there with bells on at the old Southtown Theater and again at that same time in 1983 (first in line) when Return of the Jedi came out.

After that all things Star Wars seem to start fading away. It was like we had our six to seven year fix and the high wore off. A pleasant memory of a more civilized age. Star Trek and Doctor Who became more of my focus and time were good - until!

It was 1987 and we were at a Star Trek club's Christmas party when the host brought out two books asking the question "Who wants to play a Star Wars Role Playing game?"

Needless to say this took all of us off guard. A Star Wars RPG??? Yes, we did not hear wrong and we dived in. The system designed by West End Games (WEG) was simple and easy and fun was had by all. I played a retired Imperial Captain that was fed up with the whole new order that the Empire was pushing. Our team has a droid/slave control Corvette and I even faced my old first officer who was in command of my old Victory-class Star Destroyer. This was Star Wars! This was Fun! This was a shot in the arm to get us back hooked on the drug Star Wars!

Time went along and great things came out of WEG until they lost their license in 1999, just shy of the new trilogy. I never really played the Wizards of the Coast's (WotC) version of the Star Wars Roleplaying game, even though I did collect the books before 'Saga Edition'. Something about just did not seem right about the D20 system and Star Wars, but millions of fans played and enjoyed.

When WotC lost their license it was both a shock and relief to be, pulse added some new worries. I was shocked that a major game player would let such a valuable property go. I was relieved that they did loose it because they seem to go to the soulless darkside of corporate logic then gaming knowledge. Then I was worried on WHO might get the license and if they would do it correctly. When I heard that Fantasy Flight Games (FFG) got it I have a silent 'WHOO HOOO' in my head. FFG has been a favorite game company of mine for the last decade. During the great D20 rush they produced one of my favorite 'worlds' called Dragonstar based on science and magic in space. So I had no fears.

My first attempt to play Star Wars: Edge of the Empire was at the 'May the Fourth be with You' weekend of this year with none other than Sterling Hershey, a man who has worked on all three systems of the ST:RPG from WEG to FFG. We also had a chance to drool over the new book that would still be a month and a half away from release.

But enough of this, there are more stories to tell and stats to brew when I get time. Until then I must do this:

May the Force Be With You!

Eric Anderson 
24 July, 2013 A.D.
Listen, I know you have the Droids I'm looking for!

No comments:

Post a Comment