Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Episode 2: The Joy's of Character Creation

We have a Bounty Hunter, now just pick ONE already!
When I say the joy's of character creation I mean it BOTH ways: sarcastic and happiness. How so? Leave that to my two daughters, both 11.

We will call 'em Bug and Boo. Bug is the youngest and my step-daughter from my wife's former marriage. She was brought up on Star Wars from the time she was born and carried in to see Revenge of the Sith at the tender age of 1 at her fathers bidding, not my wife's. Just to make note to all is the fact that my wife is not geeky or nerdy in any way. My daughter Boo is older by almost exactly six months and is geeky when she wants to be. Both her father (me) and mother are geeks.  

To help set the tone of the game I had Bug read Han Solo at Stars End to make her understand the feel. No Jedi's and the such, just back world adventure. For Boo I am winging it (sigh).

I have never created a character for EotE until today. All my play was done with pre-gens either from 'May the Fourth' to 'Free RPG Day' or the Beginner Game, so this was a new experience. In fact when I was playing the WEG D6 system I never generated my own character using the templates instead, the retired Imperial Officer being my favorite. But I digress.

Now then, I announced to my troop of two that I was going to start making my character as I walked over to the kitchen table with book and sheets in hand. Bug slowly came to from her 'Mindcraft coma' to stagger to the table followed after a time by Boo coming out of her 'Clash of Clans coma'. So Bug was first.

"Human bounty hunter, the one with the gadgets!" was Bug's pick, so we worked on it and I could not believe how easy it was. The hardest thing to do was turn to the needed sections in the massive tome that threatens to blast my back with another herniation. We had her character done in NO TIME! What a joy!

Then came Boo...

"I wanted to be a bounty hunter!" she sniffed. I tried to explain that a diverse group is the best thing to do. We looked through the book and she found the Explorer Fringer. So we worked on that and what a 'joy' that was. Keeping her on track and doing things in order was a fight but I finally got her on track until the end where she wanted BIG GUNS that she could not afford yet. The idea of starting small and picking things up as you go along is not good enough to the 'No Wait Generation'. Now I do have to give her points on picking a Rodian for a race and branching away from a human. It reminded her of Kif from Futurama.

Now this is all done except the names for the characters and for me to generate mine. I cannot wait to stop writing this so that I can do so.

With that I will go and bid you all a ta ta for now!

Eric Anderson
24 July, 2013 A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment